Sunday, October 14, 2012

finding purpose in the routine

"just 3 more weeks of work at the 2nd job"
"just 4 more weeks of work at Hospice"

These are the thoughts in my head tonight.  These surreal thoughts ... thoughts I still find hard to believe even though I'm the one voicing them.  Even though they are in MY head ...

Now, my time spent with family & friends seems more purposeful, seems more "special" then "normal" or "routine".  I find myself wanting to make sure I am "intentional" in who I spend my time with and what I spend my time doing.

There is a part of me that wishes this is how we all spent every week of our lives.  That every time we make plans to spend time with friends or family, we were "intentional" about it.  That we made sure to find purpose in routine things.

Can you imagine how different our lives would be?  Can you fathom what a different person that would make you be?  A different spouse, a different parent, a different child, sibling, friend, co-worker, church member?

We are not promised tomorrow, yet we all seem to live our lives like we have 50 years worth of tomorrows.   We might not have 5, 10 or 15 years to make an impact, to change a life.  We have today.  

I hope and pray that these thoughts running through my head continue to affect me, not only while I'm still here in NY, but when I make my transition to KY .. when I have the opportunities to see my nieces every single day.  

I want to remember that each day with them should be a purposeful day.  That each opportunity I have with them is a chance to make an impact, to change a life, to be who they each need me to be for them.

What about you?

No comments: